Primary Care Services Questions and Answers
Table of Contents:
Having a primary care provider for yourself and your family is one of the most proactive things you can do to take care of your health, both now and in the future. While there are always urgent care clinics and emergency rooms to go to when you need immediate medical attention, primary care is essential for receiving ongoing medical care and minimizing your risk of developing serious illness in the future. With that being said, here are some questions and answers about primary care services to give you a better feel for what they are and why they are important!
Primary care services provide patients with an entry point into the healthcare system and function as the primary source for all of their medical needs on an ongoing basis. Patients typically receive primary care services from a single medical provider they have met with and chosen as their preferred provider.
With that being said, a primary care provider must first be accepting new patients and also agree to the proposed patient-physician partnership before the partnership is officially established between the patient and primary care provider.
Examples of primary care providers include:
– Family medicine doctors, providing primary care services to any age
– General practitioners (GPs)
– Geriatrics medicine doctors, also known as geriatricians, for older adults
– Internal medicine doctors, also known as internists, for adults
– Obstetrician-gynecologists (OBGYNs), for women and those with family planning intentions
– Pediatric medicine doctors, also known as pediatricians, for children and adolescents
Primary care services are intended for patients in sickness and in health. As such, they do not only include diagnostic services and various treatments for illnesses and injuries, but they also involve matters of health promotion and disease or injury prevention. With that in mind, here are some common kinds of primary care services:
– Annual physical exams
– Chronic conditions, injuries, and pain management services, including comprehensive and ongoing treatment plans and recommended modifications to your lifestyle
– Education and guidance on healthy living and disease prevention
– Follow-up on procedures and surgeries and monitoring your recovery progress
– Referrals to a specialist when necessary and overall coordination of the medical services you require
– Routine care for acute illnesses and injuries
– Screening for various illnesses and diseases
It is best for everyone in your family to have a primary care provider. However, the good news is that your entire family can have the same primary care provider! While some primary care doctors only provide primary care services to a certain age group, such as pediatricians and internists, it can be helpful for large families to have one primary care provider they go to and trust with all of their medical needs. In such cases, a family medicine doctor may be a more convenient option, as they are trained to provide excellent medical services to any age group. At the same time, it is also understandable if you prefer that your young children have a pediatrician as their primary care provider.
If you are looking for primary care services in Southwest Chicago, IL, Family First Medical Group is the perfect option for you! We proudly provide primary care services to the areas of Mokena and Evergreen Park, Illinois.
If you want to learn more about the primary care services that we provide at Family First Medical Group, we would love to hear from you! Please feel free to give us a call, or you can schedule an appointment with us through our website. We serve patients from Evergreen Park IL, Mokena IL, Oak Lawn IL, Hickory Hills IL, Chicago Ridge IL, Bridgeview IL, Bedford Park IL as well as many other areas in the Chicagoland Region.